Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Are you ready to take the next big step in your career?
Do you want to join a fast-moving startup in our war against pathogens?
At Microgenetics we use cutting-edge technology to solve difficult problems in microbiology. We're a fast-moving start-up, backed by the UK's fastest-growing pharmaceutical company (Qualaspet Pharmaxo).
We work with partners in the pharmaceutical manufacturing and veterinary diagnostics sector to develop our products:
1) SmartControl - Environmental monitoring software that includes image capturing, machine-learning-based counting, image detection, and a suite of data analysis technologies.
2) SwiftDetect - A rapid test using hybrid PCR technology that detects the presence of a single cell in a large volume in under six hours
What we're looking for
We are looking for a passionate and talented senior machine learning engineer to join our growing team to help us become the world leaders in applying artificial intelligence techniques to microbiological data. You should already have some experience in mentoring more junior members of the team, or should be keen to step up and do so. Your creativity and love of problem solving will be essential skills to succeed in this role. As part of working for a start-up, the role will be varied and is likely to evolve as we grow, and you will have a high level of responsibility and ownership in your role.
What you'll do
The senior machine learning engineer will work in close collaboration with other scientists and engineers in the team and Microgenetics management. Your role will report directly to the Managing Director. You will be part of a team who:
- Design, implement, and refine ML algorithms trained on datasets built in-house
- Work with the software development team to integrate researched methods into product releases
- Develop, construct, test, and maintain data delivery architectures
- Work with our microbiologists to understand the capability and limitations of existing microbiological techniques and how AI might support this
- Use statistical literacy and business knowledge to identify opportunities for improving customer satisfaction, product efficacy, and competitive advantage
- Work with development engineers to create, test, deploy, and maintain edge hardware and software for customer sites
- Support the development of all Microgenetics products and pro-actively contribute ideas for future product development
What we're looking for
- A Masters or PhD in Robotics, Information Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
- A strong interest in and experience in applying machine learning to real-life problems
- Two plus years of Machine Learning related work with a focus on implementation
- Ability to write high quality code that can be easily understood and maintained
- Experience with common programming languages (e.g. Python, C/C++, Java, Matlab) and machine learning frameworks
- Understanding of and ability to implement common ML techniques such as SVMs or neural networks
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills. Ability to build rapport quickly.
- Initiative, innovative creativity and tenacity to achieve objectives and overcome obstacles
- Strong mentoring and leadership skills
Even better if you have
- Knowledge of software delivery methodologies, including agile development
- Experience with microbiology
- Experience with computer vision
- Experience with AWS (especially Sagemaker)
- Experience productionising machine learning models
What you'll get
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- 21 days holiday + 8 days bank holiday (increasing with service)
- Generous company pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Company bonus scheme (dependent on profit goals)
- Free breakfast and outdoor gym
Microgenetics is based in a new science park development in Corsham in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy commutes from Bath, Bristol and Chippenham.
Come and join us in revolutionising microbiology.
by clicking 'apply' you will be taken to our careers page to complete your application.