Senior Embedded Firmware Engineer
About the company
Our client is developing novel, high fidelity technologies in both the hardware and software domains to enable the unification of manned and unmanned air traffic. By virtue of the system’s design, the technology can be used for counter-drone and unified traffic management activities.
By developing a highly resilient, robust and low-cost solution, they are able to truly offer a cost/ value proposition that is currently not being met in the marketplace. By leveraging the low-cost approach, it is possible to provide more coverage and increased resiliency.
Currently, the technology stack includes the following high-level main product categories:
- Passive RF Detectors
- Passive Acoustic Detectors
- Electro-Optical Detector
- Sensor Fusion
- Command & Control Human Interface
- App-based counter-drone system
About the Role
The company is a fast moving, commercially aware business with multiple threads in the counter drone industry. They are looking for special individuals who thrive in a hard working environment, supporting all aspects of the business where a need arises who can think for themselves, work in isolation if necessary, and integrate into a small but effective team.
Working with DSP and RF design engineers, you will be responsible for ensuring the advancement and evolution of the Passive RF Detector capability.
- Working with DSP engineers to implement algorithms for processing various types of digitally modulated signals, targeting high-performance RF payloads and high-data rate communications systems
- Working with SW engineers to offload CPU intensive tasks to FPGA
- Working in a multidisciplinary environment to integrate, test and debug FPGA implementations with in-house HW and SW
- Using simulation and/or hardware-in-the-loop testing to verify correctness and performance of algorithm implementations
- Implementing and testing functionality to interface with embedded software and hardware such as RF front ends sensors and communication buses
- Development of FPGA test software and software drivers for production use
- Supporting field testing campaign through all phases, including test planning, execution, analysis and debugging
- Simulink HDL Coder
- DSP experience
- Simulink/ MATLAB code-generation for microcontrollers and FPGAs
- Xilinx experience
- Debugging and fault finding across microcontrollers and FPGAs
- Deploying DSP algorithms in commercial applications
- Experience with Verilog/ VHDL - ideally with experience with Xilinx FPGA’s
- RF Signal Processing
- RF direction finding techniques
- Understanding of ISM Radio protocols
- Developing safety critical software
- Knowledge of the state-of-the-art in machine learning as applied to signal classification
- Experience or knowledge of the drone industry
- Use of Slack, Jira and Google Suite tools
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or a related field (or equivalent industry experience)
- A postdoctoral degree in a relevant field
- £65,000+ OTE
- 33 days paid holiday (including Bank Holidays) rising by a day each year (up to 36 days)
- A bonus scheme to reward your contribution to the success of the company
- 4% contributions towards the NEST pension scheme
- Ride2Work Scheme (even if you are remote)
- Vitality Health and UK Healthcare packages
- Learning and Development opportunities, both internally and externally
- An open and honest culture in which you are empowered to make decisions
- A supportive team who value you for your contributions
- A healthy social calendar
They are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, their Havant office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, they can interact, collaborate and create together, even when they’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when, and where they work, helping them to balance their work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply with your CV and cover letter ASAP.