Process Automation Engineer
Microgenetics exists to help mankind win the war against pathogens. We identify problems in microbiology that were previously impossible to solve and develop new technology to solve them. We are an exciting start-up backed by the UK’s fastest growing pharmaceutical company (Qualasept Pharmaxo) aiming to revolutionise microbiology.
We are currently working with partners in the pharmaceutical manufacturing and veterinary diagnostics sector to develop our products
- SmartControl – Environmental monitoring software that seamlessly captures images of every sample to ensure data integrity with zero capital expenditure.
- SwiftDetect - A rapid test that can detect the presence or absence of a single cell in a large volume in under six hours, using our hybrid PCR technology.
We are looking for a Process Automation Engineer whose role will be to increase the throughput of SwiftDetect tests that can be carried out in our labs, so that we can meet increasing demand. You will use your initiative and problem solving skills to identify and solve technical problems, and engage with various stakeholders to agree the best approaches to take. You will then test and implement these solutions.
What you’ll do
The Process Automation Engineer will work in close collaboration with other scientists in the team, academic advisors and Microgenetics management. Your role will report directly to the Managing Director.
- Analyse existing processes & equipment to identify most important opportunities to automate or improve, considering both operator productivity, lab capacity, and ease of use
- Work closely with relevant cross-disciplinary team members to understand user requirements and obtain feedback on ideas/solutions
- Design, test & iterate improvements to these processes & equipment, or design/procure new ones
- Contribute to and coordinate the specification, design, procurement and qualification of custom processing equipment where required
- Operate and maintain a safe working environment in the engineering workshop
- When changes are agreed, implement these across the team including validation, training and controls, and promote continuous improvement
- Ensure change control processes are adhered to and any changes suitably documented
- Ensure that projects are suitably planned, meet project milestones and complete projects within appropriate time constraints.
- Work in the Laboratory in a safe and effective manner and in accordance with the recommendations of the Guide to Good Laboratory Practice, local procedures and all relevant safety regulations including Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) and report risks and poor practices.
- Keep up to date with research and technology in fields relevant to Microgenetics
- Commit to participate in out of hours working when required to meet the needs of a project.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive - you will be required to be flexible and take on projects and responsibilities as the company expands.
What we’re looking for
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Science, Technology or Engineering
- Minimum 5 years post graduate experience
- Experience improving processes in a lab environment using lean six sigma principles
- Experience designing or using robotics or custom equipment
- Experience with simple programming languages such as Python
- Experience using CAD software packages to design parts for manufacture
- Experience using 3D printer for prototyping
- Someone with initiative and creativity to achieve objectives and overcome obstacles
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and take a holistic view of the projects
- Someone with real tenacity who sees failures as an opportunity to learn
Even better if you have…
- Experience taking a manual molecular assay and automating it
- Experience improving processes in a GxP environment
- Experience in commercializing a test
- Experience working with rapid microbiological methods
- Knowledge of microbiology
- Knowledge of GxP
- Lean Six Sigma certification
What you’ll get
- Salary range £30,000 to £40,000 per annum, depending on experience
- 21 days holiday + 8 days bank holiday (increasing with service)
- Generous company pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Company bonus scheme (dependent on profit goals)
- Free breakfast and outdoor gym
- Funding and flexibility for new research projects
Microgenetics is based in a new science park development in Corsham in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy commutes from Bath, Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon.
Come and join us in revolutionising microbiology!
By clicking ‘apply’ you will be taken to our careers page to complete your application.