Machine Learning Engineer
Are you ready to take the next big step in your career?
Do you want to join a fast-moving startup in our war against pathogens?
At Microgenetics we use cutting-edge technology to solve difficult problems in microbiology. We're a fast-moving start-up, backed by the UK's fastest-growing pharmaceutical company (Qualaspet Pharmaxo).
We work with partners in the pharmaceutical manufacturing and veterinary diagnostics sector to develop our products:
1) SmartControl - Environmental monitoring software that includes image capturing, machine-learning-based counting, image detection, and a suite of data analysis technologies.
2) SwiftDetect - A rapid test using hybrid PCR technology that detects the presence of a single cell in a large volume in under six hours.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for a passionate and talented machine learning engineer to join our growing team to help us become the world leaders in applying artificial intelligence techniques to microbiological data. Your creativity and love of problem solving will be essential skills to succeed in this role. As part of working for a start-up, the role will be varied and is likely to evolve as we grow, and you will have a high level of responsibility and ownership in your role.
We’re looking for a machine learning engineer to join our fast-growing team to help us become world-leaders at solving problems in microbiology with AI. You will be creative, hard-working, and passionate about problem solving. The role will be flexible, and will evolve as we growth, and you’ll have ample opportunity to explore interesting problems.
What you’ll do
The machine learning engineer will work in close collaboration with other scientists and engineers in the team and Microgenetics management. Your role will report directly to the Managing Director. You will be part of a team who:
- Design, implement, and refine ML algorithms trained on datasets built in-house.
- Work with the software development team to integrate researched methods into product releases.
- Develop, construct, test, and maintain data delivery architectures.
- Work with our microbiologists to understand the capability and limitations of existing microbiological techniques and how AI might support this.
- Use statistical literacy and business knowledge to identify opportunities for improving customer satisfaction, product efficacy, and competitive advantage.
- Work with development engineers to create, test, deploy, and maintain edge hardware and software for customer sites.
- Support the development of all Microgenetics products and pro-actively contribute ideas for future product development.
What we’re looking for
- A PhD in Robotics, Information Engineering, Computer Science or a related field. Exceptional Masters graduates will also be considered dependant on experience.
- Two plus years of Machine Learning related work with a focus on implementation.
- Experience with common programming languages (e.g. Python, C/C++, Java, Matlab) and machine learning frameworks.
- Understanding of and ability to implement common ML techniques such as SVMs or neural networks.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills. Ability to build rapport quickly.
- Initiative, innovative creativity and tenacity to achieve objectives and overcome obstacles.
Even better if you have…
- Knowledge of software delivery methodologies, including agile development.
- Experience with microbiology.
- Experience with computer vision.
- Experience with AWS.
What you’ll get
- Competitive salary depending on experience.
- 21 days holiday + 8 days bank holiday (increasing with service).
- Generous company pension scheme.
- Life assurance.
- Company bonus scheme (dependent on profit goals).
- Free breakfast and outdoor gym.
Microgenetics is based in a new science park development in Corsham in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy commutes from Bath, Bristol and Chippenham.
Come and join us in revolutionising microbiology.
Closing date for applications is – Tuesday 18th May 2021. First stage video interviews will take place on Wednesday 26th May 2021. You will be contacted by Wednesday 19th May 2021 if you have been shortlisted for an interview.
Buy clicking ‘apply’ you will be taken to our careers page to complete your application.