Laboratory Analyst - FTC
Microgenetics have successfully trialled our SwiftDetect crop pathogen test which gives the level of infection in a wheat crop just 24 hours after sampling. We are now looking to expand our service provision team with Laboratory Analysts responsible for the day-to-day routine analysis of customer samples.
We exist to help win the war against pathogens. We identify problems in microbiology that were previously impossible to solve and develop new technology to solve them. We are an exciting start-up backed by one of the UK’s fastest growing companies (Qualasept Pharmaxo) aiming to revolutionise microbiology.
We are currently working with partners in the pharmaceutical manufacturing, veterinary diagnostics, and agricultural sectors to develop our products:
1) SmartControl – Environmental monitoring software that seamlessly captures images of every sample to ensure data integrity with zero capital expenditure.
2) SwiftDetect - A rapid test that can detect the presence or absence of a single cell in a large volume in under six hours, using our hybrid PCR technology.
We are looking for a Laboratory Analyst to join our team to help with the provision of our rapid crop diagnostics service, by routine processing of leaf material according to our standardised and validated molecular test. This role will be integral to ensuring our customers receive rapid and accurate test results, which will inform their crop management strategies. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable working on routine, repetitive test protocols with excellent attention to detail and consistency.
What you’ll do
The laboratory analyst will work as part of a small team performing our patented, SwiftDetect molecular test on leaf material as samples are received from customers. Test results require rapid and reliable turnaround. You will liaise with all members of the Microgenetics team and your role will report directly to the Principal Scientist.
- Help delivering our rapid crop diagnostics product
- Working with customer samples from wheat crops
- Catalogue received samples and ensure traceability of each sample through the analysis pipeline
- Use molecular-based techniques to generate sample data, including sample preparation and nucleic acid amplification techniques
- Work with the lead researcher to interpret, record and report results
What we’re looking for
- A-level/HND/HNC in Science
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a laboratory environment
- Someone with good communication skills who can work in an organised and tidy manner
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
- The ability to follow written and oral instruction and to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Someone who is reliable and self-motivated, with a flexible work ethic
- Adaptable and willingness to learn new skills
- Excellent data recorder
- Ability to work with a range of diverse colleagues
- Good personal hygiene
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
Even better if you have…
- Degree in a life-sciences-related subject
- Knowledge of computer systems
- Experience working with SOPs
- Knowledge of Excel
- Friendly, but professional manner
- Positive approach
- Competitive salary
- 21 days holiday + 8 days bank holiday (increasing with service) pro rata
- Generous company pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Company bonus scheme (dependent on profit goals)
- Free breakfast and outdoor gym
By clicking ‘apply’ you will be taken to our careers page to complete your application.