Can be either Bristol or Birmingham depending on jobseeker
Salary: £25,000 to £28,000 depending on experience
25 days holiday + 8 day statutory bank or public holidays
ACH is a leading provider of resettlement services for refugee and newly arrived communities in the UK, working to resettle refugees through labour market and social integration. We currently work in Bristol, Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Coventry.
For all refugees coming to the UK to be successfully integrated into society with access to adequate accommodation, employment and education.
Purpose of job
As Health and Safety Adviser, you'll use your knowledge and skills to promote a positive health and safety culture in the workplace.
You'll ensure that we comply with safety legislation and that safety policies and practices are adopted and adhered to by all.
You'll also plan, implement, monitor, and review protective and preventative safety measures across all our sites, to include, but not limited to, our 4 offices (Bristol, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, and Coventry), and 130+ supported and emergency accommodations.
As Health and Safety adviser, you'll be required to:
- Prepare health and safety strategies and develop internal policy, ensuring they are kept up to date, understood and followed.
- Outline safe operational procedures which identify and consider all relevant hazards
- Advise on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, building regulations and occupational diseases.
- Carry out risk assessments and consider how risks could be reduced.
- Carry out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented.
- Ensure working practices are safe and comply with legislation.
- Keep records of inspection findings and produce reports that suggest improvements.
- Record incidents, accidents and produce statistics for managers.
- Regular surveying of our employee’s health & wellbeing, recognising training and support needs and communicating back to the line manager.
- Liaise and meet with internal & external stakeholders to provision health & Safety works.
- Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks.
- Attend health and safety training relevant to the role and our work.
- Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation relevant to our organisation.
- Produce management reports, content for newsletters and champion H&S within the organisation.
- Ensure equipment is installed safely and inspected appropriately.
To join us as Health and Safety Advisor, you’ll need:
- Experience of delivering demonstrable results within a Health & Safety environment.
- A Health & Safety qualification (IOSH, NEBOSH or equivalent).
- Strong IT skills.
- The ability to work on your own initiative and prioritise workloads.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- The ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately.
- An interest in the law and the ability to understand regulations.
Due to the nature of this post, an DBS check will be undertaken for successful applicants, but only with their prior consent.