DW Windsor Group is recognised globally as a leading manufacturer of exterior lighting equipment, powered by people with a shared passion for light and committed to delivering outstanding service to its customers. We are currently looking for a likeminded, driven Design Engineer - Continuous Product Improvement to join our team in Hoddesdon.
Purpose of Job:
To work with the manufacturing, supply chain, quality and design & development teams to bring about product improvements and cost reductions to the DW Windsor range of products.
- ownership of the design element of product improvements including CAD models and drawings, assembly drawings, installation instructions.
- collaborating with suppliers, supply chain and manufacturing partners to ensure costs of improvement are captured and accurate.
- take part in product reviews and assessments contributing ideas for efficient build techniques, tools, and jigs to reduce cost and aid repeatability.
- support the production engineer in the preparation of prototypes.
- capture results of product assessments and put in place any required corrective actions.
- once revisions to a product or range are agreed, hand-over the project to the Production Engineer with a suitable handover document ensuring that all other paperwork and records are complete.
- produce and maintain wiring diagrams and plan cable routes and associated looms within product for multiple configurations.
- identify opportunities to use existing stock to reduce inventory levels where possible.
- manage your task across multiple projects simultaneously giving updates regularly on your workload and project status as well as any areas of concern.
You will have – experience and skills:
- in depth, experienced based knowledge and understanding of manufacturing technologies and processes and limitations;
- 3D CAD experience with Solidworks or another top tier CAD package;
- experience in producing detailed manufacturing drawing packs and Bills of Materials;
- demonstrated a sound understanding of design techniques suitable for products used in external environments i.e., IP ratings, Environmental factors, robust products;
- an understanding of wiring and harness design for volume manufacture;
- the ability to work independently but closely with other departments;
- the ability to look at ideas and solutions, accept them, adapt them, improve them and progress them;
- the ability to assess and communicate risks and weigh up costs and benefits;
- the experience and knowledge to provide guidance on electrical layout and best practice;
- the ability to be flexible, adaptable and deal with a high variety and volume of work;
- the ability to meet deadlines, working extra hours on occasion to meet the deadlines;
- the ability to pay close attention to detail and be, by nature, a finisher and completer of assigned tasks.
- Basic use of graphic design software such as In Design, experience of 3D printing and additive manufacturing techniques and limits and Jig and Fixture design experience are desirable.
You will have – qualifications:
It would be advantageous for candidates to hold a formal qualification i.e., HND/ HNC/ Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical-Mechanical Engineering.